Monday 11 November 2013

Doing the Gele Thing

 So I decided to do the gele (African Head wrap) thing. For the longest time my mum has been trying to get me to wear hats or african head wraps.
Gele's are traditionally used for many occasions from sunday services to weddings
and they have been part of Nigeria's history for a long time.
They come in various colours as well as texture,
but generally they are hand made from damask, brocade or asoke.
 I decided to give it a go as I observed from one of my aunty's,
 you don't have to wear the whole traditional outfit to wear a gele.
You  can actually wear these colourful materials with your usual english get ups like i did.
This was my first time tying the gele by myself
(many times someone ties the it for you)
I think i did a pretty ok job lol
Enjoy the pics!

Here is how my beautiful cousin (Peach gele) and other beautiful ladies wore their gele on their traditional wedding day




Check out some of House of Dara has hand made head wraps available on 
Perfect to style up your outfit or cover up a hair do. 
Edges are sewn to make for easy styling.


Read more for a video on how to tie your own gele.


Here is a video on how to tie

House of Dara has hand made head wraps available on 
Perfect to style up your outfit or cover up a hair do. 
Edges are sewn to make for easy styling
~Dara~

No comments:

Post a Comment

Enter your comments...

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...